Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dimly Lit Mirror

"And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience"  Romans 8:23-25

""For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. 1 Corinthians 13:12

Restoration is at the very heart of the Gospel. In creation, we see that humans are made in the image of God, as whole creatures. Sin dehumanizes and thwarts this wholeness. Our relationship to our creator is broken, and our relationships with each other are broken as a result. However, the Gospel restores. In these verses, we see that humans are made to be whole, and through the gospel of Jesus Christ, we are offered glimpses of what this restoration means. When we are in Christ, the process of being renewed to be truly human begins. However, these verses also depict the future orientation of human life. Restoration or redemption from Sin and to God is part a present reality and part a future orientation. Our full renewal or restoration awaits its full discloser at the return of Christ (Sherlock). Our restoration to wholeness, our full redemption from Sin, our renewal to being truly human awaits our future resurrection. Along with Paul, I too eagerly await, and inwardly long for that glorious day, when everything that I am will be renewed in the image of God, and I can enjoy and worship God without the hindrance of sin. Then I will see God for who He really is, and I will see others and myself for who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment