Thursday, June 3, 2010

Freedom to Give


The following quote comes from Freedom of a Christian by Martin Luther...

"Although I am an unworthy and condemned man, my God has given me in Christ all the riches of righteousness and salvation without any merit on my part, out of pure, free mercy, so that from now on I need nothing except faith which believes that this is true. Why should I not therefore freely, joyfully, with all my heart, and with eager will do all things which I know are pleasing and acceptable to such a Father who has overwhelmed me with his inestimable riches? I will therefore give myself as a Christ to my neighbor, just as Christ offered himself to me."

This text is an unbelievable summary of the gospel received by grace through faith. We can fully rest in knowing we have everything we need in Christ completely free of any charge. Thus, our actions do not have to be out of fear in measuring up to the law, but rather, in the joy of being in the presence of Christ, and in thankfulness for what he has already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment