Saturday, June 19, 2010

Calvin's Romantic Life


I came across this text as I am slowly making my way through Michael Reeves The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation.

....

"One cannot really speak of Calvin's romantic life. He was no Gallic paramour.

[John Calvin says,]

'As for marriage, I am not one of those infatuated lovers who, captivated by a pretty face, kiss even her vices. The only beauty which interests me is that she should be modest, obliging, not haughty, not extravagant, patient and solicitous for my health.'

Nevertheless, he was keen to express his Protestant approval of marriage, and 1540 in Strasbourg became a whirl of matchmaking as his friends tried to help him find such a girl."

....

Though I realize there is great wisdom to appreciate about his words, I also chuckle at the underlying humor Calvin inadvertently speaks with, because any kind of infiltration of the female kind into his life is probably the farthest thing from his mind...haha. I love it, and wish I was alive to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment