Monday, July 9, 2012

Courage for Tomorrow

"Let me never be ashamed of the truth of the gospel, that I may bear its reproach, vindicate it, see Jesus as its essence, know it in the power of the Spirit.

Lord, help me, for I am often lukewarm and chill; unbelief mars my confidence, sin makes me forget thee.

Let the weeds that grow in my soul be cut at their roots; Grant me to know that I truly live only when I live to thee, that all else is trifling.

Thy presence alone can make me holy, devout, strong and happy."

- Valley of Vision

....

I could have used these words on my heart earlier today. There was a moment when in conversation with a non-believer, I nonchalantly went along with a few statements that were made which were contrary to the gospel. It was no debate. I was tempted to gain approval from this person by just agreeing, and that is what I chose. I felt the very real war inside me of my flesh vs. the conviction of the Spirit.

Opportunities to uphold or refute the gospel occur every day. Earlier today was probably tiny in the grand scheme of things, who knows...but anyway, it sent a shock through me, because I saw that in my sin, I could probably habitually answer with indifference in the future, maybe without realizing. Let this prayer lead us against indifference, and remind of us of incomparable strength that is ours when we proclaim Christ. He has won already.

No comments:

Post a Comment