Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Sure Oath He Will Not Revoke

 10 "For the sake of your servant David,
   do not reject your anointed one.

 11 The LORD swore an oath to David,
   a sure oath he will not revoke:
“One of your own descendants
   I will place on your throne. 
12 If your sons keep my covenant
   and the statutes I teach them,
then their sons will sit
   on your throne for ever and ever.”

 13 For the LORD has chosen Zion,
   he has desired it for his dwelling, saying, 
14 “This is my resting place for ever and ever;
   here I will sit enthroned, for I have desired it. 
15 I will bless her with abundant provisions;
   her poor I will satisfy with food. 
16 I will clothe her priests with salvation,
   and her faithful people will ever sing for joy.

 17 “Here I will make a horn[b] grow for David
   and set up a lamp for my anointed one. 
18 I will clothe his enemies with shame, 
   but his head will be adorned with a radiant crown.”
Psalm 132:10-18


We see here God's commitment to His Covenant with David. This is a psalm that was probably sung during the Israelites exile in Babylonia, as they declared their faith that God would again fulfill his promises and raise up a new David. The psalmist appeals to God's own faithfulness, that God would not forget His promise to David, that his throne would be established forever. 

And this is the good news, God has been faithful to His covenant. He has raised up a new David. Jesus, while being the son of God, is also the son of David. He is the descendent of David of whom this promise speaks of. He is the true and better David. He is the true King who sits enthroned forever. 

But what is the result that the new David has come. What is the purpose of God fulfilling this promise to establish David's throne forever? What is the good news?

God will bless us with abundant provisions
God will satisfy the poor with food
God will clothe her priests with salvation
And we will sing for joy. 

God also says that He will 'set up a lamp for his anointed one'. In other words, the anointed one is going to bring light into darkness. The anointed one will be radiant, shining forth God's righteous rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment