Thursday, January 13, 2011

Psalm 97

"The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the Earth. The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all the peoples see his glory. All worshippers of images are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols; worship him all you gods!"

Psalm 97:5-6


How ridiculously small, trivial and worthless will idols be on the last day? In God's presence, compared to his infinite glory, the worship of idols will bring shame. When faced with the reality of God's glory, idols are ridiculous. Why would we look to idols in place of the real deal? God is all-powerful and the Creator of the earth and everything in it. Idols are neither. God is glorious and worthy of worship, idols are not. God is satisfying, quenching our inner-most desires, idols only leave us dry and thirsty. God is love, and He sent his only Son to redeem us from the false entrapment of idols. Yet, I see places in my life where I spend so much time, energy and emotion on the worthless idols of my heart. This verse reminds me that God is better. He is infinitely glorious, and the more my eyes are opened to that, the more the grip of the hidden idols of my heart begin to slip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment