As Christians, we are called to run the race that God has set before us. We are to run the race by casting off sin, by having perseverance, by not growing weary, and with joy. A few thoughts on the Cross and how we run the race.
1) Jesus ran the ultimate race set out for Him by the Father. He ran the race we could never have finished. Jesus ran the course of Calvary unto completion, in order to clear the path for our present race.
2) Jesus, in His race, fully took on the heavy load of sin, so that we would be free from its entanglement. He absorbed the obstacles and hindrances that we would have never been able to conquer. We are only able to cast off the sin that entangles because Jesus already bore the full burden and already defeated the sin that so easily entangles.
3) Jesus carried our shame, so that we would not lose heart
4) Jesus demonstrated the ultimate endurance by carrying the Cross, defeating death and then resurrecting victoriously. We are able to run our race with endurance and perseverance because Christ' victory over death is imputed to us. The power of His resurrection enables us to persevere.
5) Jesus joyfully embraced his course. We too, being united to Christ, are able to joyfully participate in the race God has set before each one of us.