Friday, July 9, 2010

Justification by Faith Alone Before the Reformation

Here is an excerpt from a tract by the great scholastic theologian Saint Anselm (1033-1109)


"Question: Dost though believe that the Lord Jesus died for thee?
Answer: I believe it

Question: Dost thou believe that though canst not be saved except by his death
Answer: I believe it

Come then, while life remaineth in thee; in his death alone place thy whole trust; in naught else place any trust; to his death commit thyself wholly; with this alone cover thyself wholly; and if the Lord thy God will to judge thee, say, 'Lord, between thy judgement and me I present the death of our Lord Jesus Christ; no otherwise can I contend with thee.' And if he shall say that thou art a sinner, say thou; 'Lord, I interpose the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my sins and thee.' If he say that thou hast deserved condemnation, say; 'Lord, I set the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my evil deserts and thee, and his merits I offer for those which I ought to have and have not.' If he say that he is wroth thee, say; 'Lord, I oppose the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between thy wrath and me.' And when thou hast completed this, say again; 'Lord, I set the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between thee and me.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment