Friday, July 2, 2010

Sweetly at Peace

The following is an excerpt from John Bunyan's 'Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners'.

"Now did my chains fall of my legs indeed; I was loosed from my afflictions and irons; my temptations also fled away; so that from that time those dreadful scriptures of God left off to trouble me: now went I also home rejoicing, for the grace and love of God.....only that was brought to my remembrance, 1 Corinthians 1:30: "Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption", by this word I saw the other sentence true.

For by this scripture I saw that the Man Christ Jesus, as He is distinct from us, as touching His bodily presence, so He is our righteousness and sanctification before God. Here therefore I lived, for some time, very sweetly at peace with God through Christ; "Oh!" methought, "Christ! Christ!" There was nothing but Christ that was before my eyes. I was not now only for looking upon this and the other benefits of Christ apart, as of His blood, burial, or resurrection, but considering Him as a whole Christ! as He in whom all these, and all His other virtues, relations, offices and operations met together, and that He sat on the right hand of God in heaven....Now Christ was all; all my wisdom, all my righteousness, all my sanctification and all my redemption"

No comments:

Post a Comment