Friday, June 11, 2010

Reformed Theology can become an Idol

I didn't know what "reformed" meant just a year ago. However, a lot can happen in a year. I now love reformed theology and reformed things in general. I believe the Holy Spirit has used the reformed theological disposition to magnify God, the cross and His Gospel in my life more than anything else. However, as Tim Keller, Senior Minister of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, has said, "any thing (including inherently good things) that becomes an ultimate thing has now become an idol."

The following excerpt comes from his book Counterfeit Gods. Along with his book titled Prodigal God, no two books have affected my heart and mind for the sake of gospel more so than these.

....

"An idol is something that we look to for things that only God can give. Idolatry functions widely inside religious communities when doctrinal truth is elevated to the position of a false God. This occurs when people rely on the rightness of their doctrine for their standing with God rather than on God himself and his grace. It is a subtle but deadly mistake."

....

It is really easy to get excited about Reformed (Calvinist) theology. To me, it illuminates the truth of the gospel in an unprecedented way. It is very, very awesome. However, I need to remember that Reformed theology is only a means to point to Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. In itself, being reformed is a good thing, but it is not an ultimate thing. Reformed theology is not saving. Being washed white as snow by the blood of Jesus on the cross is an ultimate thing...Being completely accepted by the King of the universe in my lowest, most disgusting state is an ultimate thing...Having daily peace in knowing I can't and don't have to merit God's favour out of my own doing because Christ already did it for me out of sweet mercy is an ultimate thing...In short, Jesus is the ultimate thing. His presence with us on this earth today and in heaven for eternity is an ultimate thing. And we can be grateful that there is nothing that can ever take that away from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment