Sunday, June 6, 2010

Heidelberg Catechism: God's Grace

Tonight during the evening service at Independent Presbyterian Church, we read this excerpt from the Heidelberg Catechism. It served as an excellent reminder of the firm foundation on which a Christian stands. Following a prayer of confession then an assurance of Pardon, this was collectively read...

How does it help you now that you believe all this?
That I am righteous in Christ before God, and an heir of eternal life.

How are you righteous before God?
Only by true faith in Jesus Christ; that is, although my conscience accuses me that I have grievously sinned against all the commandments of God, have never kept any of them, and that I am still inclined always to all evil, yet God, without any merit on my own, out of mere grace, imputes to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ, as if I had never had nor committed any sin, and as if I had myself accomplished all the obedience which Christ has fulfilled for me, if only I accept this gift with a believing heart.

Why do you say that you are righteous only by faith?
Not that I am acceptable to God on account of the worthiness of my faith; for only the satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ is my righteousness before God, and I can receive this righteousness and make it my own only by faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment